This weekend was the wedding that the Paleo Diet was for. I arrived in IN on Thursday evening and went to Kroger to pick up some tomatoes, avocado, and chicken so I could make snacks for my 3.5 hour drive on Friday. Friday morning I had eggs, avo, and tomato. I also got a skillet out, chopped up the chicken and cooked it with salsa. Huge thanks to Malisa for letting me stay with her and for letting me take over her kitchen. Best friends are nice like that :).
Because of all my wonderful planning ahead, I was able to snack on chicken and nuts during my drive and when I arrived in IL for the rehearsal. I wanted to keep some chicken for a snack on the wedding day, which meant I was having whatever was provided at the rehearsal dinner. I had four of the cut up sandwiches, which probably equaled a Subway sandwich, some fruit and veggies…and potato chips. Later, the bride and bridesmaids went out for ice cream. I got a large Blizzard at Dairy Queen!! Realizing that I had gone a little crazy (ok, perhaps out of control is a better descriptor) on Friday, I reigned myself in and ate slightly better on Saturday and Sunday.
This has taught me a few things:
- Perhaps a diet that cuts out entire food groups (grains and dairy) isn’t for me.
- I need a diet that doesn’t involve “cheat” meals, but incorporates treats (in moderation) because when I cheat, I cheat in a pretty serious way.
- I did love having a diet heavy on fruits and veggies.
- Doing the Paleo Diet for a few days before the event gave me a weird sense of confidence about my body. Maybe it was because I knew that only really good stuff was going in it.
- I would be willing to do the Paleo Diet again (in a short burst), but I’d like to do some background reading.
On the whole, the wedding was beautiful! I thought I looked great 🙂 I can’t wait to see the official photos.